- He nearly names his new dog objet petit a.
- He wants to get a tattoo of something called “the graph of desire.” He is not fazed when you inform him it looks like a minion. 
- When he sees you’ve linked your blog to facebook he mutters something about you being in thrall to “the big Other,” whatever that is.
- He only ever wears black. He will claim this has nothing to do with Lacan but this is obviously rubbish.
- The word “Bataille” is like catnip to him.
- When he reminisces about his teenage years, he uses the word “jouissance.” You don’t know exactly what “jouissance” means but you know you didn’t have any as a teenager, which means it’s yet another thing to add to the list of Fun Stuff you Missed Out On in London in the Late Eighties. Even if you’d been offered it you would have just said no.
- He will tell you about seminars in your own department, people in your own department you had no idea existed. You will come to realize that Lacanians, like Canadians, but actually more like vampires, live among us.